Pages

Born Pretty Store Review on Nail Art Decals

Posted by Amy from imfeelingnail-venturous
Reactions: 
December 23, 2011

Today I have a review on Born Pretty Store's 11 piece Color Stripe Nail Art Decals. These are water nail decals for nail tips, which I have very little experience working with. The set consists of numerous different prints.

I have to admit I have mixed opinions on these water decals--mainly because this is my first real attempt at working with water decals. For those of you with no experience like me, take your time, have patience, and practice! One thing I love is they don't leave the 'lip/ledge" stickers do. In addition, the Born Pretty Store's print/designs are beautiful!!!! They sure do make a beautiful french tip!

 All you have to do is cut the decal to fit your nail, dip it in water for 20 seconds, and remove the decal from the backing with tweezers and stick on the nail. (After trial and error and talking with my polish friends, it helps to add a drop of water to your nail bed to help the decal slide around). Once you have the decal in place, you soak up the excess water with a paper towel. Finally, seal with a top coat. (You can also start with a regular polish as your base coat if you chose).

Sounds easy right.... Well.... I add a difficult time applying these decals. I tried to apply these several times, and these photos show my best attempt. First, I tried applying them with NO base coat or polish, and I could not get the water decal to stay in place. It just slide around and never dried to the nail. (which I later found out that this is a good thing. All I needed to do was soak up the excess water with a paper towel... duh! How stupid of me)

Then I tried applying a clear base coat, but the decal quickly adhered to my nail bed.. So quickly I could not get the placement right. (But later I found out from my polish friends, that all I needed to do was add a drop of water to my nail bed to help the decal slide around to get the placement right...duh.. how stupid of me)

Finally after talking to my Facebook polish group,  I finally got it right... However, my top coat seem to "eat" the decal. You can see what I am talking about in the photos. I think this is either because I didn't allow the decal to dry all the way or that I didn't have enough polish on my brush... 

I hope you can learn from my mistakes if you decide to try these water decals. I know the next time I try these, I will have the perfect french tip!


Step 1: Cut to size.

Step 2: Soak in water for 20 seconds. Remove decal from backing.


Step 3: Place on the nail and press with a paper towel to absorb the excess water. The extra flap of decal easily tears of similarly to the Sally Hansen Nail Decals.


As you can see, I messed it up... But I learned a lot in the process... Next time will be better! Practice makes perfect! The photos show one coat of top coat.


Shop the Born Pretty Store for its product at its website
You can also shop at the Born Pretty Store on ebay
You can visit the Born Pretty Store on Twitter

12 comments:

AllisonL on December 23, 2011 at 11:25 PM said...

They look beautiful! Thanks for letting us--your readers--know both the pros and cons!

Kejal on December 24, 2011 at 12:08 AM said...

its pretty!! was wondering how to use these..how do to trim extra from the sides?

ScarsLikeLace on December 24, 2011 at 12:42 AM said...

I really like the decal you used! It's pretty!

Shannara on December 24, 2011 at 1:29 AM said...

looks cute!

Polish and Charms on December 24, 2011 at 2:26 AM said...

That's a pretty pattern!

Miss L on December 24, 2011 at 4:34 AM said...

These look very easy to use and I love the mani created with these!

Jossie on December 24, 2011 at 6:19 AM said...

I luv water decals! Which topcoats did u try? I have tried Seche and it does not eat the design. I think the brand Kiss has a tcoat just for nail water decals, usually they sell the bottle in a kit. Its all trial an error like u said :-D

Rochelle on December 24, 2011 at 7:17 AM said...

Wow, those are really pretty. Thanks for sharing the info on how to use them!

imfeelingnail-venturous on December 24, 2011 at 7:34 AM said...

@Jossie-- I used China Glaze Fast Forward Top Coat and I also tried Orly Nail Defense. I don't know what I did wrong. I will have to look into that Kiss top coat. The decals are pretty! I should need to have patience with them haha! Thanks for the tips!

@Kejal--After I soaked up the excess water by pressing on the design with a napkin, the extra edge folded over and pretty much ripped away cleaning. I think it used the edge of my nail as a "scissor". They tear away easily like the Sally Hansen Nail designs.

Aradia on December 24, 2011 at 8:57 AM said...

so cute!

Nail Reflections on December 24, 2011 at 9:30 AM said...

These are really pretty! I can see how it would take practice with them. Good things to know about these decals!

Gypsy on December 30, 2011 at 12:21 AM said...

This looks so fun! I think it came out really well especially for a first time! I may have to try this :D

Post a Comment

Comments, suggestions, and questions are always welcome! Thanks for reading! (If you leave a link in a comment, it will not be published. Sorry for the inconvenience .)

 

I'M FEELING NAIL-VENTUROUS Copyright © 2011 Design by Brandon Faulkner Website Design | Blogger Blog Templates