Pages

My Work Area

Posted by Amy from imfeelingnail-venturous
Reactions: 
June 10, 2012

Hi Everyone! I thought it would be fun to share my polish room as well as how I store and organize my nail polish and polish making supplies. I have been slowly adding pieces to this room since January, and it is almost completed! All I need is closet doors! I also thought I would share what I like and don't like about my room. Maybe that will help you if you are planning on designing a work area.

You can click on any photo to enlarge it.


This is to the right of my room. 

The workstation to the far right is where I do my nail art/paint my nails. The area to the far left is my business station. Part of the station is used for glitter and pigment storage. I will have close up photos later in the post. 

I got this black and white flower print chair from Burlington Coat Factory for around $100 back in February. I think this chair is suppose to be a decorative piece, but I use it all the time. It is very comfortable, the perfect height for the desk, and is holding up well. It is firm but comfortable.

My walls are two shades of gray. The wall with wall decal is a couple shades darker than the rest of the walls. My accent color is purple (pillows, baskets, and curtains).
_____________________________________________________________


This is the left of my room. The workstation to the far left is where I make polishes. 

I love my floating shelves hanging above the desk. My husband put these up for me last weekend, so I could display my homemade nail polishes! 

I also like having the bench at this desk as opposed to a chair because I can use it to set supplies on while I work.  I do regret this particular bench. I got it from Burlington Coat Factory for around $100 back in February. It already has wear and tear. The seams are ripping. I can't be upset because I do believe this bench was designed to be more of a decorative piece.

I bought the Cherry Blossom Branch + Birds Wall Sticker Vinyl Decal off eBay for around $120. It was a bit pricey. They do have smaller sizes for cheaper ($35), but I wanted it to cover the entire wall. I don't know if this is standard or not, but I got to choose my branch, blossoms, and bird color from the seller on eBay. The link is above. The seller was awesome and had fast shipping! The decal itself was surprisingly easy to put up. It is time consuming. It is not a fast project. If I had to estimate, it took about 4 hours to put it up. None of the flowers or birds are attached to the branches, so you get to pick your placement. I even have left over flowers and birds I did not use. I am considering placing them in random spots all over the room. 

I do love my "furniture" I choose for this room. Surprisingly, I didn't spend as much as you think. I bought all the pieces from Michaels on New Years Day. This includes all the storage units and the two desk stations. So everything in this room!

 There was a major sale. I purposely waited to buy all my pieces on that day. All storage was 50% off,  and I also got $5 off for every $25 I spent (with a coupon). I think Michaels does the 50% off storage sale twice a year (don't quote on me on that), but they always have %40 off storage sales which is just as good.  This means I got each piece for half price. They also have random coupons with %50 of a single item that is not on sale. So you could potentially get a ton of those coupons and get your pieces! The only down side is that normally you can only use one coupon per customer.

So needless to say, I spent a lot of money that day, but I also saved a lot of money. This was my Christmas present from my husband. I do regret getting the desks from Michaels. They are wobbly and unstable, but not unusable. It doesn't frustrate me to the point of wanting to chunk them out the window haha... I do love how the desk has built in storage. Maybe I didn't put it together properly.

_______________________________

The next two photos show how I organize my pigments and glitters. I group my glitters and pigments by brand/store except for the bulk purchase glitters. Those are grouped together.  I also store my shipping supplies, empty polish bottles, and extra lacquer base in my closet. 


The area to the far right are drawers filled with shipping tape, labels, printer paper, pens, etc. The thing I love about Michaels storage is that you can customize the area how you want and select pieces that will have storage to fit your needs. For example, the open drawers have slots where I can group my pigments by color if I want. 


This is the section to the right of my nail polish making workstation. Of course, I have even more glitter. I bought the plastic bins from the dollar store. As you can see, the shelves do slide out. 

______________________________________________________________

Moving on to the right side of my room where I have my "nail art" workstation...


The above photo shows how I store my "store brand" polishes as well as my nail art supplies. I think each drawer can hold approximately 100 polishes (don't quote me on that). Any polish I still need to add to my tracking worksheet I place on top of the drawers.


I have my polishes organized by color as opposed to brand name. 


Here is where I store my stamping plates, nail decals, nail art pins, brushes, striping tape, etc. I also keep my stamping polishes with my stamping plates. When I find a polish that works well with stamping, I tend to keep it in this drawer as a reminder! (See photo below)



This is the section to the right of my nail art workstation. These are all my "indie brand" polishes! I love these the most out of my collection, so I display them!  I just love how these were made by someone with an idea! It is so awesome to have a creation made by someone, not in a factory. Cheesy, but this section of my room makes me the happiest !

You might wonder why I have two desk lamps on the floor and not on my desk... haha..... well you see, its a funny thing... I close my curtains, turn on the lamps, and it makes the perfect photo box. So yes, I take my photos under my desk... weird? This is a very recent discovery of mine, and I am SUPER excited. I still need to do some tweaking to the area.  Have you noticed a difference in my photos lately?

___________________________________________________________________

Below is how I organize my "store brand" polishes.  I have a drawer labeled for each color (purple, pinks, greens, etc.). I also have a drawer that is dedicated for all my glitter polishes. These are mainly the layering polishes. I always think I messed up by having a glitter drawer. I think I should have grouped the glitter polishes into a colored drawer. Some polishes I really don't know where to store them, either the glitter drawer or in the appropriate colored drawer. Oh well! 


I swatch all my polishes on a nail wheel and associate a number to each polish.


I place a sticker on the polish bottle that is associated with the swatch on the nail wheel. I got these stickers at the dollar store. I also track all my polishes in a spreadsheet. You can see a current list of the polishes I own by going to this link.  There are tabs at the top of the page. I store my nail wheels in a container  (see two photos below). I got this at the dollar store as well.





______________________________________________

And of course I hired security to protect my collection!!!! Meet Dex!



74 comments:

Stephanie on June 10, 2012 at 10:48 AM said...

OH my, I would love to have a room like this at my house; just not enough space!

Simona @LightYourNails on June 10, 2012 at 10:52 AM said...

Showing to my bf, hope he understands what I want!!!!

Smashley Sparkles on June 10, 2012 at 10:55 AM said...

What a beautiful room! I love the Cherry Blossoms and you are so organized!!

Lacey {Lace and Lacquers} on June 10, 2012 at 10:57 AM said...

So... ORGANIZED! O.O <3

Kvacka on June 10, 2012 at 10:58 AM said...

WOW! I just showed this to my boyfriend as: "Someday I want a room like this." =))
It's AMAZING and it will be my inspiration. For someday... =)

A Girl and Her Polish on June 10, 2012 at 11:02 AM said...

OMG!!! You are so organized!! I am drooling over the whole room!! So much better than the kitchen table I work at!! :)

MzCherrie on June 10, 2012 at 11:07 AM said...

Amazing!

JinJit on June 10, 2012 at 11:11 AM said...

Oh wow, this is such a beautifully designed room!! So peaceful and elegant... I LOVE it!
I wish I had the space to design something similar...
I better keep this post for future reference though. Who knows when I will win the lottery...

Irena Bee on June 10, 2012 at 11:11 AM said...

Security is too cute :D :D

Danielle on June 10, 2012 at 11:12 AM said...

this room is gorgeous. i'm very jealous.

Ashleigh on June 10, 2012 at 11:17 AM said...

Your polish room is beautiful! It's so bright and chic.

One day I hope to be able to have my own polish room. Hehe.

PolishGalore on June 10, 2012 at 11:19 AM said...

Oh I love how that looks! I really wish I could turn my spare bedroom into a "polish room" but I don't see that happening any time soon. :|

AA on June 10, 2012 at 11:24 AM said...

Wow! ::drooling:: This room is beautiful and amazingly organized. So jealous of your collection!

Briana C. on June 10, 2012 at 11:26 AM said...

im wearing floam as i read this post. maybe i should get an extra stuffed animal to protect my polishes lol

Rainbowify Me on June 10, 2012 at 11:27 AM said...

What a cool post. Thank you so much for the guided tour, I enjoyed it a lot. And Dex... he's adorable! <3

Jen on June 10, 2012 at 11:28 AM said...

Wow…that's a pretty impressive room of nail polish!! I like how you number the nail wheel swatches and correlate with a sticker on the polish bottle. The cherry blossom wall decal is the perfect touch to make the room feel pulled together and serene. (:

Liz on June 10, 2012 at 11:36 AM said...

OMG I am in love with your nail polish room! <3

illustratedlady on June 10, 2012 at 11:39 AM said...

Oh Amy, it was a treat to get a glimpse into your life and your workstation. No wonder you are so creative and talented! You have a beautiful area to work in! I love the color scheme-I have been trying to convince my husband to let me pain a room in grey and smoky purple. He isn't going for it! I don't' have nearly as much polish as you do, but I keep all of my polish on floating shelves that I bought at Ikea many years ago! I could never have Melmers as I like to look at what I own! As far as that bench goes, I have reupholstered some old raggedy chairs and ottomans by taking off the legs and buying a piece of fabric and stapling it to the underside. (I watch a lot of HGTV-LOL) They turn out really well! I love the wall decal-I bought on at Kohls and have it in my work area. they are cute little owls on a branch.
Also, Love Dex! He is adorable!

Jessica's Nail Tales on June 10, 2012 at 11:41 AM said...

Your setup is seriously amazing! Thanks for sharing it with us!

sue on June 10, 2012 at 12:05 PM said...

Impressive but Dex is the best part. :)

Deborah - Love. Varnish, chocolate and more... on June 10, 2012 at 12:05 PM said...

Oh my gosh, this is the perfect polish room! One day I'll win the lottery and have a whole room for myself too ♥.

Lucisek-Lucys Stash on June 10, 2012 at 12:06 PM said...

Your nail polish room is beautiful! I would love to have room like this, every piece of it is stylish and pretty (not even mentioning the polishes!)

Stephanie Popp on June 10, 2012 at 12:08 PM said...

OMG!! You have the perfect work space!! I love everything about it! The colors are amazing and I love the cherry blossom tree. The whole room looks so serene. Can you come design my workspace? ;)

All The Pretty Polish on June 10, 2012 at 12:12 PM said...

Holy guacamole..Your work area is beautiful and so organized and...wow. I'm jealous :b haha. I love everything from the layout to the color scheme! And that's the cutest security dog I've ever seen! :]

MyLife101 on June 10, 2012 at 12:17 PM said...

I'm so jealous!!! Your polish room is awesome!

Ashley is PolishAddicted on June 10, 2012 at 12:19 PM said...

Holy wow!!!

Frosso on June 10, 2012 at 12:31 PM said...

Wow...I can only dream of a polish room...especially one so pretty! I thought it was out of a magazine at first when I saw your link to this post.

The Silverinator on June 10, 2012 at 12:31 PM said...

I absolutely love it! So much nice workspace and so organized and so pretty! My space is a very slow work in progress...

Miss L on June 10, 2012 at 12:33 PM said...

Your work area looks amazing! I love the print on the wall, it looks so stylish. I hope that one day I will have a room for my nail polishes and makeup stuff etc, too :D

Kelli on June 10, 2012 at 12:36 PM said...

Oh my gosh I love this! I wish I could dedicate a room to nail polish :)

Tânia on June 10, 2012 at 12:46 PM said...

love it
everything looks so pretty :)


http://whitebutterflydreamss.blogspot.pt/

datyorkLOVES on June 10, 2012 at 1:02 PM said...

you are one lucky girl. this is amazing set up!!! :D

LadyLuck on June 10, 2012 at 1:09 PM said...

OMG!!! Thanks for much for posting this because Im changing my room and I want to decor it with cherry blossom and I been looking for something like that! Will try to get a cheaper one if possible! Thanks <3

Lisa on June 10, 2012 at 1:58 PM said...

I am so amazingly jealous of your beautiful work room! You've clearly put a lot of thought and effort into it!

Want to help me decorate my bedroom? I have the interior design skills of a 14 year old boy!

Anne Thompson on June 10, 2012 at 2:11 PM said...

Beautiful room!! That would be a fun place to hangout!

pumpkie on June 10, 2012 at 2:12 PM said...

This isn't your work place its a piece of heaven. Thank you for sharing it with us and sharing all your storage area. You not only make beautiful polishes but you seriously could be an interior designer this is stunning. I love security or aka your assistant :)

Pointless Cafe on June 10, 2012 at 2:46 PM said...

This post is FULL of awesome. ♥ I love how organized you are and I LOVE Dex ♥

Katie - Missys Manis on June 10, 2012 at 2:56 PM said...

I'm so jealous of you polish room, it's beautiful :)

zebra-nails on June 10, 2012 at 3:21 PM said...

Very interesting! And Dex is so cute! :)

Ashesela on June 10, 2012 at 3:38 PM said...

Oh my gosh!!! What an AMAZING room!!! Your whole room is now on my wishlist! XD

nail crazy on June 10, 2012 at 3:57 PM said...

that's the room from my dreams *.*
of course you should have a security for it ;-D

Lindsey R on June 10, 2012 at 4:24 PM said...

What a stylish work area! Love the cherry blossoms on the wall-- they're my favourites!

Mel, Glassflecked. on June 10, 2012 at 4:29 PM said...

Amazing post!! That room is heaven. Love the grey & purple and I've been debating one of those decals forever.. think you sold me!

KayJay at Refined and Polished on June 10, 2012 at 5:07 PM said...

This is a gorgeous set up! I want to come over to play in all of your polishes. I store by color as well...it just seems easier for me when I'm looking for something particular.

beachgal on June 10, 2012 at 5:48 PM said...

OMG! Half of my entire living space (called a beach cottage) would fit into your nail polish room! This is amazing. You are so lucky to have this kind of space.

Beauty Ninja on June 10, 2012 at 7:24 PM said...

Omg, your polish room is amazing! I love how you catalogued your polishes! Makes me wish I had done mine by color instead of brand and used the number system too!

Veronica Hubble on June 10, 2012 at 8:41 PM said...

I love this room! were going to build our own house someday and I'm totally showing these picture to my hubby!!!

Arianne Cruz on June 10, 2012 at 9:15 PM said...

It's real!! I thought it was a picture from an online store or a magazine! Wow! Show room status :D

TENDERHEARTR on June 10, 2012 at 10:45 PM said...

I do believe I just drooled on my keyboard a little bit. Lol. What an amazing, peaceful workspace. Someday we will have a spare bedroom and a corner will be mine to organize and set up for polish and making jewelry. I just made a pair of earrings with Floam and they turned out amazing! Thanks for letting us into your room; I love posts like this!

Tropicalnailart.blogspot.com on June 10, 2012 at 10:53 PM said...

Can I use this pic to go up on my dream board?? ;)
It's fabulous !

Sophia Rowan on June 10, 2012 at 11:26 PM said...

I wish I could have a room like this for my work space! Maybe one day when I'm not living in a shoebox. :)

Lenny on June 11, 2012 at 3:59 AM said...

I don't know where I should start envying..your gorgeous neat room or your uh-mazing polish collection. man. this is a dream-come-true

Une Ruxi à Paris on June 11, 2012 at 5:37 AM said...

Wow your polish room is amazing! So classy and pretty! I would love to have a polish room.

Maisky on June 11, 2012 at 5:43 AM said...

Woweeeee! This is a great room. Your collection is impressive :)

Kelly-devilishpolish on June 11, 2012 at 7:27 AM said...

cute security!:) I love your room. My bf & I will be getting a house sooner or later and I plan on havin a room or part of room something like this! You gave me inspiration. Cant wait to have a space of my own

Lulubelle on June 11, 2012 at 11:55 AM said...

You did a great job and love your "security"! The room has a really soothing quality to it.

Polish AMOR on June 11, 2012 at 11:58 AM said...

OMG I'm speechless.. this is pretty awesome, best polish room I have ever seen...LOVE Dex too cute!

ScarsLikeLace on June 11, 2012 at 4:24 PM said...

I love love love your wall mural!! ^.^

BlogeretteJoelle on June 12, 2012 at 6:54 AM said...

Amazing! What a nice room!!!

polishloving on June 12, 2012 at 7:22 AM said...

I couldn't be more jealous :) brilliant area, you have done a great job <3

Babie on June 12, 2012 at 12:27 PM said...

Omg I'm drooling over this lol ... I've been telling the hubby for months how I want to change our office into my "craft/hobby room" a section for nails, scarpbooking & sewing ... I have to show him this lol .. thanks for sharing :D

drinkcitra on June 13, 2012 at 1:44 AM said...

Wow!! That looks beautiful! I love love love it!! :D

Angie on June 13, 2012 at 6:44 PM said...

Well I'm jealous!! LOL! You have a beautiful setup! Thanks for sharing all your ideas with us!!

Tara @ Polishy of Truth on June 14, 2012 at 1:39 PM said...

oh swooooooon.

I also keep my indies separate, and love them the most! I used to organize by color, then I tried going by bottle when I got a bigger storage unit, but it is driving me crazy! So I may go back :)

Catherine Mendez on June 14, 2012 at 4:56 PM said...

Where did you get the storage drawers the polishes are in ?I love it!

Catherine Mendez on June 14, 2012 at 4:57 PM said...

Where did u get the storage the polishes are in ? I love it

déjà vu on June 17, 2012 at 1:14 PM said...

I love the room!! I'm definitely going to have to do up a room for nail stuff/office. I've been thinking about it off and on, but I never get around to it.

Melissa on June 17, 2012 at 11:56 PM said...

Oh you lucky lucky girl. Not only do you get to enjoy all this lovely polish but your hubby encourages you. GREAT room! :)

Valesha on June 18, 2012 at 1:58 PM said...

WOWOWOWOW! And I thought I liked my polish room. Yours is spectacular! I am curious to know what your "good for stamping" polishes are. :)

The Crafty Angel (aka Manicured/Headacheslayer) on June 24, 2012 at 1:35 AM said...

*Swoon* Your work area is fantastic! How gorgeous!! The chair is really glam :)

I currently keep all my swatches in a notebook--FYI a great way to keep all your swatch wheels together is a plastic shoebox w/ a lid. I order mine by brands. Locating the polish does get to be a bit trickier though LOL

Jello Kitty on June 24, 2012 at 6:57 PM said...

That is such a beautiful room! I would love to have one like this. So in love with all the photos of your stash heheh =D

NailArtnThings (Kejal) . on July 1, 2012 at 3:21 AM said...

OMG!!! This is polish heaven!! At first I thot the first pic was a pic from internet about how u'd like a room like that!! :o I m gonna dream of this room for days to come!!!

Daisy on December 31, 2012 at 10:20 AM said...

oh my, this room belongs in Ikea. it's beautiful!

ladydazy on January 17, 2013 at 6:59 PM said...

Are you a certified nail tech? I am and it's takes a lot of practice to be good. I'm still waiting to be good, lol! How long have you been polishing?

Post a Comment

Comments, suggestions, and questions are always welcome! Thanks for reading! (If you leave a link in a comment, it will not be published. Sorry for the inconvenience .)

 

I'M FEELING NAIL-VENTUROUS Copyright © 2011 Design by Brandon Faulkner Website Design | Blogger Blog Templates